Friday, April 9, 2010

Our expectations

Jane Kirkpatrick is one of my favorite authors , she has this quote on her website .



From the author...

quoteopenI've finished my latest manuscript with insights about the benefits of completion.  As Leonard Cohen wrote:  “ring the bells you still can ring / forget your perfect offering / everything has cracks / it’s how the light gets in.”  Let the light in to your day with my latest words of encouragement. quoteclose

    I think this can apply to us as quilters. We are always learning , though we can aim for perfection, we can never reach it . Beginners especially should not expect perfection on their very first project ,or even on their 2nd , or  3rd  project . Leave the mistakes , accept them, learn from them , say thank you  when complemented , don't point out your mistakes !

2 comments:

  1. NOw that is something I have a hard time doing...I keep telling myself to not point out that seam that didn't quite match or the curve in applique that is not quite smooth. I guess I'll just keep trying. Good advice ...I'll practise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wendy. That is good advice. We all like to have control over things, but it is good for our soul to let go, and run the risk of making a mistake. That's how we learn, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete